Nice, leisure morning, as usual. Our "neighbours" at the guesthouse are from London, On ! Super cute young couple that just got engaged. (looked exactly like Phil and Syd!) The house served a full breakfast (included in the €55!) but the dining area was full when the 'neighbours' came down so I invited them to join us. Nice little visit with them.
We wandered Donegal (super cute tiny town) and headed to the car that was parked on a crazy little road. Last night I parked on the wrong side of the street, facing the wrong way - simply because you can do that here and there was a space. Today is Tracy's turn to drive. "Drivers side" is on the street side so she quickly jumped in when there was a break in the cars. I got in on the sidewalk side . . . what? What's going on, why do I have the steering wheel ?!?!?! We both totally screwed up and just got in on the wrong sides without thinking. You probably had to be there but our faces and reactions were pretty priceless and still makes me giggle. I guess we won't master this before we leave !
Rachel had suggested we visit Teelin - it was her favourite when she was here a few years ago and was only about 30min from Donegal. She did good - it was just beautiful and the sheep were awesome !!!
Time to start making our way to Belfast. We decided we would stop before Belfast, in and around the Giants Causeway. Fortunately the young couple had just come from Northern Ireland and reminded us that we need £ there ! Totally forgot. And, they are imperial !?!? I thought only the US was imperial these days. We almost missed the little sign that said "welcome to Northern Ireland" but here we are. The scenery had been changing and we'd commented that it was looking like home. Trees, roads, subdivisions . . .
My mum always told me if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all . . . So, I should stop now but I'm not going to :p
There is absolutely nothing quaint or charming about anything here. Even the drivers are more aggressive. We drove through a few 'towns' and we just both were feeling that it is not a nice place. They are very British, that is the feeling I get. We stopped at one B&B in Coleraime (which was a challenge to find - there was no accommodation at all like we had been seeing in the Republic) The lady was pleasant but not nearly as friendly as we had been used to. We drove on to Portrush and found a hostel (dumb luck) It is £19 each - a bit pricey for a hostel but we're tired, it's late (7:30) and it includes a self serve breakfast. Plus the wifi works - yay.
We go to a restaurant that the hostel guy recommended. I have never eaten so fast in my life ! Hated the place but our options were very limited.
In for the night . . . our room is perfect - two bunk beds, so we each have our own. He's made it a Private so we won't have anyone joining us (technically each bed could be filled, so this room accommodates 4) and we have our own bathroom (the guesthouse last night and the first hostel were shared washrooms down the hall)
Ok - one of our earliest nights - just after 10. We want to be up and out of here by 8:30 and try to get both the Giants Causeway and the Belfast Black Cab done tomorrow so we can get back to the Republic !
Nighty night xox
Wow, what a change, very interesting... and different money, of course. Take care, enjoy, love you xoxox
ReplyDelete