Nope, didn't sleep but no rushing for us. I'm enjoying our leisurely mornings . . . Up at 8:00 out of our room around 9ish.
Walk down to Blarney Village for breakfast at a cute tiny cafe (Old Blarney Post Office Cafe). Super yummy scones with jam, porridge with fruit, honey and cream (real cream - very nice) but still no 'drip' coffee (really kinda missing my home brew now - only have espresso/Americano's here)
Pop into the tourist office for lots of great info, tips and maps. Got onto the double-decker city bus and into Cork we go. Sat up top in the very front. Fun !?! I had a nice chatty fella from Taiwan sit next to me. Very interesting guy traveling on his own and doing some of the same journey as us but in reverse.
Off at Cork and wander a bit. A beautiful city and so easy to navigate (actually everywhere has been very easy to get around in - quite amazing really) Also, the wifi connectivity is crazy - it is literally everywhere ! Even on the the sidewalks. Everything is so beautiful and old yet so much more technologically advanced than home. The streets and buildings are so historical and all the little "alley's" of shops are so lovely and inviting (no cars). We popped into the Old English Market . . . We could easily make this our regular Saturday jaunt. Yup - I like it here.
Apparently Cork was nearly the capital of of Ireland but Dublin stolen it . . . some rivalry there. We also learned from out cabbie yesterday that there is a lot of political unrest right now - something about the two political parties joining forces (like the liberals and conservatives joining - could you imagine!) and there was a collapse of the country a few years ago (!?!?! - keep in mind I am really only getting about a 3rd of what he is saying - aiaiai they talk fast and thick accents!)
The next cabbie that took us to Enterprise also liked to talk politics "That clown - Trump" lol. Super nice though (of course) and lots of helpful hints and tips for driving and getting around.
So, my number fear of this entire trip happened ! ! ! No automatic car for us ! ! ! WHAT !?!? The auto that was returned for us this morning had a cracked windshield and wouldn't be ready until the morning. He was insistent on giving us a manual . . . If I could drive a darn manual, I would have rented a manual ! * Sigh * What can we do.
They have a shuttle service so we head back to Blarney with another customer (fella) and the driver (gal) They both wanted to know about us and, naturally, had all sorts of wonderful tips and suggestions. The gal was estimating how long one of the suggestions would take, she was hemming and hawing, said it'll be a long one - might take about 2-3 hours. We both laughed because we thought long would be 5+ hours . . . She laughed and said it takes 7-8 hours to drive across the country ! Perspective !
After lots of chit-chat on the way to Blarney we ask to be dropped at the castle . . . She laughed and said I don't need to go, I already have the gift of the gab :D must be a travel thing for me (I am actually surprisingly chatty while away)
We spent probably 3 hours at the castle and gardens. Truly beautiful place. Green, lush, lots to see - much much more than just a castle.
Long windy walk to the top, and a super quick kiss with the aid of a charming little leprechaun ;-)
(Ya, I'm getting tired, that's all you get)
Visited the local grocery store (I love grocery shopping especially in different places!) Grab some dinner and breakfast foods (and a beer) to have back at the room.
So the whole car fiasco has turned out to be a small blessing in disguise. We saved a day on the rental and did the Blarney castle today instead of the planned tomorrow visit, they will pick us up in the morning and we do the nice (easy) drive to Kinsale and start our journey along the coast - just perfect !
Our advise for our Enterprise gal was: "If you are having fun, stay and enjoy; if the weather is nice, get out and enjoy it - don't spend all your time in the car; just go with the flow !" Such wise words !
Random Observations:
All lawns/properties are remarkably well maintained
They have a great system for dog poop - sadly it isn't used (watch your step)
Houses don't seem to have numbers but have names.
Still can't cross the street and look both ways - properly
The crows make a really different sound - still a bit eerie
They drive ridiculously fast, the roads are narrow and the white line is the centre line/the yellow lines are the lane/shoulder lines.
Have I mentioned how incredibly friendly and helpful everyone is !?!!!
All lawns/properties are remarkably well maintained
They have a great system for dog poop - sadly it isn't used (watch your step)
Houses don't seem to have numbers but have names.
Still can't cross the street and look both ways - properly
The crows make a really different sound - still a bit eerie
They drive ridiculously fast, the roads are narrow and the white line is the centre line/the yellow lines are the lane/shoulder lines.
Have I mentioned how incredibly friendly and helpful everyone is !?!!!
Nighty night xox
PS - we've been having a hard time finding twin rooms. I'm Ok sharing but Tracy was really reluctant . . . I think she was afraid I'd snuggle lol (she has been sleeping on her own for way too long ;p) 3 nights of sharing, we're both in bed, I'm doing this, she is reading, two bags of chips between us, and sipping our beers. What a sight!
PS - we've been having a hard time finding twin rooms. I'm Ok sharing but Tracy was really reluctant . . . I think she was afraid I'd snuggle lol (she has been sleeping on her own for way too long ;p) 3 nights of sharing, we're both in bed, I'm doing this, she is reading, two bags of chips between us, and sipping our beers. What a sight!
Wonderful....
ReplyDeleteHey this is cool. Reading to your dad. Fun stuff.
ReplyDelete