Ireland - Day 11 - Aran Islands

A nice lazy morning, alarm set for 8:30, up at probably 8:45. Put the laundry back in the dryer (we had to hang it last night because we couldn't use the dryer due to a storm - go figure, more rain). Had breakfast and all of a sudden we're late !?!? Rush rush, no hair done, no make-up.
---
Side note: We are both on the same page for mornings which has been great . . . We don't want to be rushing. And we enjoy some down time in the evenings. I also finally feel like I'm not just thinking of and planning our next step. From here on out we drive until we can find something or want to stop and end in Dublin next Thursday.  I think we've been traveling well together. Lots of laughs and rather comfortable around each other . . . Swans ;-)
---
Off we go to the Ferry . . . Things are NOT well labelled here ! Thank heavens for Maggie ! We get there and the Ferry is going out today !  It was iffy . . . Deb (our host) taught us an Irish proverb (did I mention we are staying with an Irish family ? Their first language is "Irish" (they don't refer to it as Gaelic!) They have 5 kids and 3 dogs, the only familiar name was Marlie and that was one of the dogs! Interesting names to say the least.) Back to the proverb - you won't be sailing if there are White Horses playing in the fisherman's garden. There were white 'ponies' playing in the garden so we weren't too sure.  Those ponies turned into stallions while we were sailing to the islands - wow, rough ride. Got a little worried when a member of the crew came and stood at the front of us - looked like he was getting ready to give us instructions on emergency procedures !  (Which they said would happen in the safety video "in case of an emergency wait for instructions from a member of the crew) 

Arrived on the island, it was nice - but we've seen so many amazing sights and views, we weren't really WoW'd . Plus it was . . . windy ! And raining on and off. We wandered for a bit, found a cute little place to have a flat white coffee - YaY, found something I like - shot of espresso and steamed milk - and a yummy cake (which was promised as per the shops slogan). 

Wandered a bit more and then finally went into the sweater shop ! Spent probably an hour and a half there. Found my sweater right away and my hat (we'd been looking into the shops on the mainland but wanted them right from the source ! There is so much history to these sweaters and they are still handmade on these islands!) So . . .  I had taken pictures of the hat and sweater that I had decided on while we were in the Killarney shop. When we got to the mother shop my hat was €6 more ?!? So, I pull our my picture and ask . . . Possibly an old label and the prices have since gone up, "so sorry but we can't price match . . . however I can give up 10% off ". Me "ok, I'll take whatever you can offer !" Somehow, at the end of our chatting I got 15% off my entire purchase ! ! ! I saved €30 ! (Don't do the math - expensive day!) Thanks Mum ! "Doesn't hurt to ask, all they can do is say no" !

He also advised us not to bother with the bike rental (to windy and and the rain was too unpredictable - it was sunny most of the time we were there but ya never know !) He suggested we wander to the local pub and have a hot whiskey . . . So we did. It was the quaintest little place that only served drinks and the locals all spoke Irish. No wait staff order from the bar. So we did. Traditional Hot Whiskey - a shot of whiskey, hot water, lemon with cloves, and a bit of Suger - Yum ! ! !

Then we went to the restaurant and shared an open faced sandwich with smoked salmon, crab salad and capers with potato wedges topped with melted goat cheese and a baconaisse for dipping - more yum !

4 pm is when we are to catch the ferry back . . . we wander down the pier at about 10 to - lots of people milling about. We assume they haven't started boarding. As we get closer, a guy asks if we are taking the 4 O' clock . . . Oops, they were waiting for us ! Last ones on and away we go ! Much calmer ride back. 

We toured around for a bit but we're really looking forward to being in early. Stop at the local grocery store. Grabbed our yogurt for breakfast (this has been our regular routine since we got the car - I bought an awesome fruit, nut, and oat mix (that was on sale!) and I buy the fresh berries that are reduced (pick out the bad and that leaves me with just what I need). The hosts have all let us use the fridge and bowls. We also bought potato and leek soup in a box (we still have not had potato soup ! ) Heated that up tonight for dinner with some of the bread I've been carting around. Just right. We did our dishes and the few the family had in the sink and left the place tidier than we found it :-) 

Words of the day:
Fáilte - Welcome (fault a / fault cha - depending on your dialect)
Sláinte - an Irish cheer/toast for good health ( slan cha)
Slán - used to say goodbye (slan)

Finally done !

Nighty night xox

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful, we can visualize it all, you are a wonderful story teller, thanks so much. This is just terrific and we are really having fun xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete