Well, so much for the up and out by 8:30. Think we hit the road at 10:45 ! It was a dull & dreary day and we had the full use of the kitchen. It was kinda fun to be domestic again ! Someone left eggs so we cooked them up; I had berries and avocado from yesterday morning; it was a great breakfast.
With the rain we decided not to bother with the kayaks (sadly).
Off we go to the Ring of Kerry ! Thank heavens for GPS !!! We just kept plugging in one little town after another. The roads just keep getting narrower and narrower - just crazy. For km's we'd go without being able to see more than 200' ahead because the roads curve and the bends are so sharp - all while on a 2 lane road that really only fits one car (forget buses and trucks!) And you never know what is coming around that next bend !
First stop was nice, a bit dull but finally seeing some beautiful sites. Stopped at a crafters market - it's basement was dedicated to Star Wars (costumes and a photo studio) Odd . . . We later found out that one of the Stars Wars was filmed there ! Another stop in ... Getting brighter out and the view is wonderful ! We built an inukshuk ! All sorts of rock towers on the beach but not one inukshuk !?! There is now :D Had coffee and a scone here too.
Oh my, oh my - it just keeps getting prettier ! Made probably 3 more stops (on the side of the road - yikes - got pretty bold and creative a few times!) Went to Lambs Head . . . Drove as far as I dared (one car barely fit the two way road) got out and walked for a bit - WoW ! Oh, ya, lots of sheep !
Ok, we better get serious - it's almost 4 ! But, stopped in another little town for a pee - I was very proud of my parking job !
Drove through Killarney - very mountainous. Really a lot bigger than expected. I do miss seeing a bit driving but really having fun - a terrified kind of fun, but fun !
Made it to the town of Killarney at about 6pm. 7hrs of, crazy, driving - I'm feeling pretty darn good !
We wandered a bit. Found the pub Tracy wanted to see "Courtney". Really really cute and fun town. It would be a fun one to stay in for a bit.
Headed back to Glenbeigh in the dark. And I was actually doing the speed limit ! ! ! fyi - the posted limit on the Ring of Kerry route is 100km . . . there is no fekking way you can go that fast. I averaged 60 with a LOT of slow downs to 30 or 40.
Had dinner at 9pm at the Towers Hotel Pub - great atmosphere. We finally bit the bullet and had the vegetable soup (we have been looking everywhere for potato soup but everywhere the "soup of the day" has been Veg) The veg was actually really could (creamy not broth) but their soup of the day tomorrow is . . . Potato and leek ! Go figure ! Our server had a "water colour" tattoo - beautiful, need to look into it.
I'm so chatty ! I literally talk to everyone . . . it is so much fun ! Chatted with Chris and as always, lots of helpful hints and tips for our journey tomorrow.
The hostel is . . . interesting. Room size is ok but that's because there are only two beds and a sink in it ! No towels provided (thankfully we packed our own). Shared toilets are down the hall. But huge cozy common spaces downstairs. Guess they're meant to be a social thing.
Nighty night xox
PS - have I mentioned that I get sh!t done !? If something goes wrong, I fix it. If something needs answers, I ask the questions. I rock.
Random:
The beds have all been very hard and so have the pillows (can't wait for my own bed)
Hydrangea's grow like hedges here. Huge, bright, and beautiful - everywhere.
Water conservation isn't a priority - the toilets take so much water to flush.
Rock walls everywhere - big and small (I think they are so pretty)
Touring on our own is fun but we are missing having the guide that will give us the insight into everything we are seeing.
I haven't mentioned lately how nice everyone is . . . they still are insanely nice !
The beds have all been very hard and so have the pillows (can't wait for my own bed)
Hydrangea's grow like hedges here. Huge, bright, and beautiful - everywhere.
Water conservation isn't a priority - the toilets take so much water to flush.
Rock walls everywhere - big and small (I think they are so pretty)
Touring on our own is fun but we are missing having the guide that will give us the insight into everything we are seeing.
I haven't mentioned lately how nice everyone is . . . they still are insanely nice !
Hope you have a picture of the Inukshuk, Dad would love the hydrangeas, crazy roads, good for you for the driving, fixing and asking. Imagine that, talking up a storm, yea! Proud of you kid. Will Tracy do any driving?
ReplyDelete